During your placement you will be provided with extensive support and assigned a mentor but when we award internships in foreign countries, we also ensure that our interns are able to make a useful contribution to the work going on there and that they organize their stay in the country themselves to a large extent.
Our internships last for a maximum of six months. You don't need to worry about finding accommodation in the project country, as this will be provided for you by Welthungerhilfe. In addition, we pay a monthly allowance of 200 euros.
You are responsible for procuring a visa for the country you would like to work in, although we will of course help you with this and supply you with any documents you require, such as an internship contract. Welthungerhilfe will reimburse you for the cost of the visa.
As an intern you are essentially responsible for organizing your stay yourself and will bear any expenses connected with this. The main costs will be your flights and, because we don't offer group policies for interns, international health insurance including emergency assistance, as well as accident insurance.
The projects / countries
It is possible to apply for an internship in any project countries, that are generally classified as stable.
The following project countries are marked as high risk countries and can therefore not be applied for: Afghanistan, Burundi, Central African Republic, DR Congo, Iraq, Madagascar, Mali, Niger, Pakistan, South Sudan, Sudan, Syria, Turkey.
The following Welthungerhilfe offices hire interns on a regular basis:
Dushanbe, Tajikistan (dowload-section: current concrete position)
Kampala, Uganda (for projects in Congo, Uganda) (download-section: current concrete position)
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
You can find information on the projects of Welthungerhilfe on the following websites:
Please note that unfortunately, information is not available for publication on every project / country. You can be sure, however, that all offices mentioned on our website are currently implementing projects, even if in some cases the corresponding project descriptions are not published.
You should be aware that internships abroad are meant to provide a general overview of the work in development cooperation. Even if in a certain country a project is implemented which is of particular interest to you, it cannot be guaranteed that you will be mainly working on that project in your internship. Considering that the internship is limited to a relatively short period of a maximum of 6 months, it may very well occur that during the course of your internship you do not get any access to that project at all, e.g. due to traveling restrictions for political or climatic reasons or because the project has reached its final phase. You should therefore choose a country that you are generally interested in and describe your particular areas of interest in your letter of motivation.
In any case, you can gather very interesting experience in any of our projects. In principle, the projects are related to the following issues, while the focus may vary from case to case:
The application process:
In order to respond to frequently asked questions - please take note of the following points:
- The possibility of an internship in one of our offices always depends on the current workload in the offices and the qualifications and expectations of the applicant. Normally, we do not have specific descriptions and/or timeframes/deadlines for the internships (if not separately mentioned).
- Please use the information on our website to gather information about the projects in the different countries to see if the projects there fit your expectations. More detailed information going beyond what is described on the Welthungerhilfe website can only be provided once a particular office wishes to offer you an intern position.
- Please do not contact the offices abroad directly!
- It is not possible to apply generally according to areas of interest or for all offices/countries. Therefore, please limit your application to only one office/country per application e-mail. If you would like to apply for more than one office/country, please send a complete set of application documents for each office/country.
- You can send as many applications as you want and of course you can apply again at a later date.
- For organizational reasons, you should apply about 3 to 6 months before the intended period of your internship. Of course, you may also apply at a sooner or a later stage.
- Even if shorter periods are generally possible, it is advisable that the internship lasts at least 2 months.
- Applicants are not subject to any restriction of age, nationality, language skills in German or level of academic qualification! Anyone may apply who would like to gain a comprehensive insight into the professional field of development cooperation.
- In line with the desire to afford a broad insight, we consider it to be particularly important that the internship takes place in a country other than the intern’s country of origin. This is essential to learn about the challenges of working in an international environment.
Feedback on your application
The office will contact you directly within four weeks after the receipt of your application should they be interested and able to offer you an internship.
If you haven’t heard from the office within four weeks, we are unfortunately not able to offer you an internship in your desired location. Because of the large number of applications we don’t have the capacities to send a separate letter of refusal.
For us to be able to consider your application please include just the following documents (please provide all documents in English if no other language is separately mentioned!):
- A completed copy of our Data Collection Form (see downloads on the right)
- A detailed letter of application (see downloads on the right)
- Your CV
Please send your complete application to Ms. Christine Mader:
We are looking forward to your application!!!
Welthungerhilfe's family-friendly personnel policy has been awarded the “Career and Family Audit” certificate.